by Vincent Waraske
By the late 1920's it was becoming apparent that a new school building needed to be built in the Trenton Avenue area. Therefore in 1929 a formal recommendation was made by the Paterson Board of Education that a new school be built on Trenton Avenue between Michigan and Illinois Avenues on what was then vacant land. The needs of children living in the Lakeview section had become well known as many children had to walk to School No. 9 and No. 20. By 1930 the Board reported that some 552 children were in attendance at No. 9 and No. 20 alone who lived in the immediate vicinity of the proposed site on Trenton Avenue. Due to these over-crowded conditions and part-time classes at No. 9 and No. 20 the Paterson Board of Finance approved the necessary funding for a new building that would be called School No. 25. Contracts were awarded in July of 1930 at a building cost of $517,000 and work commenced at once. On November 14, 1930 the cornerstone was set in place. It was further decided by the board of Education that Mr. Louis Schmerber would be transferred fro No. 11 and he would become the first principal of No. 25.
In September, 1931 the building was completed and ready for use on the first day of school. The new building provided ample accommodations for over 1,000 students and was originally equipped with a teaching staff of 24 teachers and nearly all of these women were experienced teachers transferred from other schools. 670 pupils were transferred from No. 9 and No. 20 and parents breathed a sigh of relief for their children would no longer be exposed to unprotected railroad crossings and rapidly moving automobile on busy streets.
Mr. Schmerber, whose family were pioneers in the silk-dyeing business in Paterson remained as principal until the retirement of Superintendent John R. Wilson, at which time Mr. Schmerber was appointed new Superintendent of Paterson in 1944. At that time Mr. Andrew Donnelly was transferred from No. 10 to become the second principal of No. 25.
Many thousands of young citizens have passed through School No. 25 since the first graduating class of 52 students in June, 1932.